When someone wishes to purchase a lawn mower, there are various reasons why one may choose for an electric lawn mower instead of gas-powered lawn mowers. Not only the electrical lawn mowers environmentally friendly, but they also need less maintenance. They are operationally quieter, as well.
What is electric lawn mower?
An electric lawnmower is like its gas-engine counterpart in its configuration: Inside the deck, there is a spinning rotary blade, which may be steel or plastic. You can lower or raise the deck to maintain the length of the grass and the density via height-adjustment levers (graded as one / two / three or four. Two kinds of electric lawn mowers are available –
i. Best Corded electric lawn mower: It comes with an electrical cord that you can plug in your outdoor electrical socket to supply power to the mower. They do not need fuel and start easily.
ii. Best Cordless electric lawn mower: It is a quieter and environmentally-friendly. They might pack a little less power under the hood, but they have many advantages. They are emission-free.
Are corded electric lawn mowers worth it?
If you are going to buy electric mower, you are almost certainly wondering if it is really worth it to buy one. With all the advancements that have been made to the electrical mowers and the superior batteries available, an electric model is definitely worth your consideration.
How will you choose your electric mower according to your need?
The position, size and condition of your lawn are the important factors which are to be considered while purchasing for an electric mower. If you are having a well-kept lawn with very small and thinner grass types or average sized lawn, then you will be able to cut the grasses efficiently and quickly with an electric mower (cordless or corded).
Electric lawn mower: practical alternative to gas mowers
Electric lawn mowers are perfect if you have nominal storage space and do not want to handle the hassle of storage of oil or gasoline. Electric mowers are light-weighed than their gas-powered counterparts. They are easy to use and transport.
Do they need a lot of electricity?
Many people who are opposed to using electric power equipment like to point out the fact that electricity isn’t free. Based on the cost of electricity in most areas of the US, the average homeowner will spend pennies to recharge a lawn mower battery or two. Most modern lithium ion batteries do not take long to charge and take very little time to get up to speed. The average user will not even notice the difference in electricity used each month to recharge an electric lawn mower.
Can you use a battery-powered lawn mower instead of electric lawn mower?
You can mow all types of lawn or grass with the battery-powered lawnmower. Primary issue that you may run into is how much extra power or energy is needed, to mow thicker lawns. Normally, battery-powered mower is better alternative for flat lawns.
How to start an electric lawn mower?
Being a beginner, the question may arise how can you start the electric mower? Well, it is the vital thing to start the battery or electric powered lawn mower. They are really simple to start. Maximum models come with the specific key that you may have to put in somewhere on mower’s frame. This is needed to stop children or any person who should not temper your yard equipment like mower.
You can ask manual of the product owner or else speak to the customer care service of that specific brand if you are facing some problem finding the key slot. As soon as you got the key of your mower inserted, now the thing that you have to do is to get ready to get going it up.
For Battery-powered Lawn Mowers:
To start the battery-powered mowers, all that you can do after the insertion of the key, press the button, else you can pull back level that most of the electric mowers have. After all,, if your lawnmower does not start for any reason then there are some tricks that can be done.
Firstly, you have to double-check to be sure that the battery is sufficiently charged. Secondly, you may want to check if there is any other mower battery which can work inside your mower, immediately to be confirmed that battery that has been used is not defective at all.
At last, you can make sure to check if the link between the engine of electric mower and your battery is uncontaminated of any rust, dirt, or any gunk. You can also find a plug, if it looks unclean, then clean it out and give it a new start to your machine, let’s go.
It is not unusual for the good bit of dust or grime to be accumulated in the plug of the mower which connects your battery and machine, so it will be worth an attempt to check if the whole thing is okay with the machine after cleaning out the connection.
For Corded Lawn Mowers:
A typical corded mower is not that dissimilar from a battery-powered machine. There is only a basic difference that you have to plug it into an extension cord to give it power rather than the battery.
Now, you can plug it in. After insertion, the specific key which came with the product will help to start your product. You will be able to initiate your mower by pressing down the ignition button. If your corded lawn mower does not start for any reason then there are some tricks those can be done.
Firstly, authenticate that the outlet that you have opted actually get activated by plugging in something into it. Secondly, please make sure that you are using suitable extension cord in your electric mower.
One thing you must have to check whether you are giving the proper energy flow to the machine or the machine is not getting enough power to be started or to be remaining operational. If you see none of these works, then you have to contact the local mechanic. Maximum electric lawn mowers are inexpensive to repair at all.
What to look for in cordless mowers?
If you have determined to buy a mower, the electric cordless one is the right option for you. You would have to think about what mode of lawn mower is the best suited for your requirement—electric mower comes in push, ride-on and self-propelled styles. Apart from these, think about how much runtime you will need and how large your garden or lawn is.
One of the most important things that should be in consideration is the battery of the lawnmower. Electric mowers which are available in the market use both lead-unfastened and lithium-ion batteries. The batteries can differ in voltages. Keep that in mind that the higher the power, the longer will be the run.
Another matter that requires checking is how much modification you will need. Maximum fashions have at least two or three. On the other hand, you can see some better end models with up to five top adjustments. If you need additionally effective a couple of senior options of adjustments , you can customize with the help of mechanic.
Wheel length is another very important consideration. It is typically a personal choice ; you may often see that pleasant electric (cordless) lawn mowers will frequently have solid rear wheels. The large wheels work with the higher harsh terrain and distribute greater traction in the hills. Or else, the selection of wheel size is certainly up to you.
Push Or Self-Propelled:
Which kind of electric cordless mower must you pick out? There are some models which can be pushed manually or can be self-propelled. Self-propelled models are simpler to use. Nevertheless, they also need more power from the battery and as the result, will almost certainly be charged higher than the push ones.
Conventional or Brushless Engine?
Another part not to overlook is what you want to choose an engine that makes use of brushes and the commutator or brushless engine. The question may come up, what is the major difference between them?
The Brush-less generators have more adaptation capacity to undertake in hand than the conventional ones. This engine can feel the resistance and it can be altered for it. While the resistance is getting high, the engine takes extra power. While the opposition gets dropped, it will bring less strength.
Lastly, brushed motors can be seen as the ones which can be grown with the energy of the mower without the infliction of the battery for draining out so quickly. The brushed engines are supposed to last for a long time and for an ultimate longer time.
Along with these advantages, you may ask why the brushed engines are not being utilized in all kinds of mowers. That is because those specific drivers are a bit high priced than the traditional ones.
Noise and Safety:
You should also check how much noise the lawnmower can emit. Generally, electric corded mower is quieter compared to battery or gas operated mowers. So be sure that you are looking for the noiseless electric mowers without causing any health problems like ear problems and air pollution. This will guarantee you have calmer and not as much of problematic time while mowing the lawn.
Push Button Or Key:
If you are going to buy mower, you will see push button or the one in which you have to turn over the key. Nevertheless, it could be recommended that the ones which are basically key commenced are often more complicated to initiate for kids. It makes them safe to be around the youngsters.
The deck width of the mower :
In case of any mower, it is necessary to confirm the reducing deck width of the electric lawnmower. Always remember that wider sliced widths can cut extra grasses of your garden at a time and it is accordingly quicker. Moreover, a 24-inch reduction in blade will be much faster than sixteen-inch blade.
Discharge settings (Side Discharge, Mulch, Rear Discharge, Bag Or 3-in-One):
While it involves the clippings of mower handles, you have a number of alternatives which are available to you.
Here are some mowers which can discharge the cuttings from a side, the ones which can release them from rear side. There are some in which the clippings are mulched. There are ones who can bag all of them. Mowers that do better tend to be charged more. So it is as much as up to you who can decide which purpose you require and what kind of you are willing to expense for them.
Money-back guaranteed and warranty:
It is vital to consider lawnmower with warranty that the product lasts for minimum a year. It helps to keep faith and also valuable when any accident occurs or else while that mower unexpectedly doing not really well. You should get money-back guarantee which should last up to 90 days or more is most welcome.
Best Corded Electric Lawn Mowers
We have researched top 7 electric mowers available in the market for helping you to find perfect machine for cutting your lawn. All are here in one place so that you can enjoy your shopping. We have chosen a number of lawn mowers with their best price; also have mentioned the key features they offer, and the customer satisfaction.
1.GreenWorks 25022 12 Amp Corded 20-Inch Lawn Mower:
GreenWorks brand is getting in popular in last few years for many good reasons. The lawn mowers that they are producing are user-friendly and the price is also lucrative. The key features of the product have been listed below-
- The Greenworks 25022 is the 12Amp mower with a 20-inch blade. If you do not mind doing cord management while you are mowing, you will be able to cover a lot of ground very fast.
- Tall ten inch rear wheels and convincingly large seven-inch front wheels assist this mower to handle rough ground without any issue.
- The finer steel blade really does great even if you are letting the lawn grass raise for two weeks.
- The height adjustment (one-touch) lowers or raises the mower’s deck for cutting 1-1.5 inches for the centipede grasses up to 3-3.5 inches for bluegrasses. This type can be seen in the case of expensive mowers.
- Another thing best in the GreenWorks 25022 is that it is basically a 3-in-1 machine. It means that it can mulch, bag, or discharge the clippings in aside. This kind of setup can be seen on expensive mowers.
- The capability of mulching is unbelievable to reduce waste and yard cleanup and it also cuts down your expenditure on fertilizer.
- When you are done mowing, you can fold down the handle for storage. Again, you can also pop your mower in the trunk or you can keep it in your garage for the next time.
- There is no gas or oil for messing with; no odor, also no tune-ups will be needed. Barely the ownership cost is to sharpen the blade and the total of electricity that you will use.
- You will be covered with 4 years warranty of GreenWorks, more coverage time than any other electric mowers.
- Do not have any annoying noise
- Very easy to store
- Takes up very less space
- Extremely lightweight
- Superior height adjustment
- High maintenance cost
2.WORX WG719 13 Amp Caster Wheeled Electric Lawn Mower, 19-Inch (for medium-sized yards):
The WORX WG719 13Amp electric mower has 19-inch blade for covering the ground fast. We strongly recommend this mower for medium sized yards for so many reasons.
- The smaller your cut path is the extra back and forth you will have to do.
- You have to move your extension cord many times around the obstacles (back and forth).
- The maximum length of cord is 150 feet. It means that your mower is inadequate to go anywhere unless you must have to establish the electrical outlets strategically.
- While WORX is also quite parallel to its several competitors like it is also offering the 3-in-1 technology, it mulches, bags, and discharge. But it shows a basic difference. It offers caster wheels at the front; it may be seen on the Cub Cadet Mowers and also in grocery carts.
- This makes the mower very transportable.
- It also possesses a wider variety in cutting heights.
- The cutting deck can be adjusted between 1-1.5 inches and 4 inches so that it can handle all kinds of turf grasses.
- Foam padded grip can fold down in super-flat, very easy storage capacity while you are all completely done. WORX make their exclusive mowers in the USA. They offer 3 years of warranty on the product of WG719.
- Wide range in cutting heights
- Can handle all types of turf grasses
- Can be easily stored
- 3-in-1 technology
- Inadequate movement capacity
3.SunJoe MJ403E Mow Joe 17-Inch 13-Amp Electric Lawn Melcher/Mower(for small to medium-sized lawn):
Are you really interested to get the flawlessly manicured lawn? SunJoe MJ403E will get you cover for small to medium sized lawn.
- With the precision and three positioned height control settings, it gives 17 inch cutting Swath. Its 7’’ height cutting deck provides flawlessly manicured lawn.
- It generally comes with separable grass collector.
- This kind of lawnmower is suitable supremely for lawns in between 1/5 and 1/3 acres.
- Having compact in size, this type of lawnmower takes comparatively fewer storage space than other lawn mowers inside the market.
- It can also be built-in with huge rugged wheels. Its lightweight makes it to suitable on all terrains.
- It has seven cutting heights. The weight of this item is 3 pounds.
- Its authoritative engine system has the motor power of 12 AMP.
- Deck size of the mower is 17 inch. Its sharp blades are of 17 inches.
- It also gives you a separable bag for grass collection for trouble-free disposal.
- It is sturdy with compact design.
- Easy to use
- Affordable price with superior quality
- Consistency in grass cutting
- Does not have enough cutting width; create problem while mowing in summers
4. Sun Joe MJ402E Mow Joe 16-Inch 12-Amp Electric Lawn Mower + Mulcher:
Sun Joe MJ402E offers a compact and powerful model having 15-inch cutting width. Though, it has width 16 inches, the blade cuts 15 inches crossways. This makes it ideal for lawn under 1/6 acre with several obstacles and rigid places for squeezing through.
- While Sun Joe MJ402E seems small, it can romp through the twigs, grass, and it can mulch too.
- It is extremely lightweight at only 30.9 pounds. In fact, it is considered as one of the lightest electric lawn mowers among all.
- This model comes with 9.5-gallon collecting bag. It does not sound like a large amount, but to keep it tiny makes it easier for the individual to pick up and unfilled it.
- The whole thing about this MJ402E like the price and weight, with respect to the ease of usage and size. This makes it a very good mower especially for retirees.
- The six-positioned height adjuster varies from 1.3 to 2.5 inches. It means persons who like longer grass try to shave with close proximity according to their preference. Again, people having southern grasses find this mower right on the penny.
- Sun Joe also offers 2 years warranty. It is ETL-listed for safety fulfillment. One thing that you will have to spend for the care is to sharpen its blade once in a season.
- Lightweight model
- Ideal for southern grasses
- Small length of cutting blades
5. Sun Joe MJ401E Mow Joe 14-Inch 12 Amp Electric Lawn Mower with Grass Bag:
We are here to postage-stamp sized yards and the mowers for those who do not want any fuss to get mowing job to be done.
- Sun Joe MJ401E mows only 14-inch wide lawn path, but it is plenty if you are having tiny yard and lacks storage space.
- 12Amp motor can cut easily as it can mow if you have chosen right extension cord. There will be 3 cutting heights in between 1.15 and 2.50 inches, ideal for St. Augustine and centipede grass.
- This mower is considered as the lightest one which weighs just 29 pounds.
- Its hard-topped grass catcher holds up to 10.5 gallons clippings; its convenient handle makes it easily transportable.
- After cutting the lawn grass, padded handle can be folded for storage.
- Sun Joe MJ401E offers 2 years warranty. It is ETL-listed for safety fulfillment.
- Durable construction
- Powerful motor facility
- Sharpened steel blade
- Friendly customer care service
- Small grass collecting bag
6. Earthwise 14-Inch 8-Amp Side Discharge/Mulching Corded Electric Lawn Mower, Model 50214 (for small lawns):
As the part of the well-known American/Great States lawn Mower producer, Earthwise offers 14-inch lawn mower; model 50214.
- This mower has 8Amp motor that is why it uses very less electricity. If you have long, grassy and tough jungle, mow it just once with gas mower before maintaining with Earthwise.
- Earthwise is not super-powerful. It is ideal to keep your small yard in shape.
- You will find padded V-shape handle more relaxed to push and very easy to manage while rotating than straight bar handle present in other mowers.
- It is a very simple tiny mower. There is no collecting bag or any fancy feature.
- It can mulch so that you can throw the clipping on lawn, or you can discharge them out.
- If you wish to buy budget-friendly mulching mower to mow your small yard, here it is. Earthwise also offers 2 years limited warranty.
- Consumption of less amount of electricity
- Manageable V-shaped padded handle
- Mulching capacity
- Limited period of warranty
- Absence of collection bag
7. BLACK+DECKER MTE912 12-Inch Electric 3-in-1 Trimmer/Edger and Mower, corded, 6.5-Amp:
If you are having a small lawn and very few bushes, or big lawn with a narrow passage, it could be ideal tool for you.
- Black+Decker MTE912 12-inch mower can be converted into string trimmer along with the edger.
- It makes the use of four-wheeler base for supporting string trimmer just like a mower blade. Push the foot pedal and trimmer will be separated from the base.
- Automatic Feeding System does not need bumping to prepare new string after wearing out the old ones.
- Its 6.5Amp motor needs extension cord for operation.
We have covered top seven corded electric mowers. Let us take a glance at those criteria we have used to choose them.
- 3-in-1 capacity
- Economical to buy
- Easily convertible
- Ideal to use in smaller area
- Dust bag is absent
- Limited period of warranty
An insight on the types of the grass and opting the perfect mower for you
When you are going to choose a Best Corded Electric Lawn Mower, consider the type of grass that you are growing there. Afterward, check the cut height of the mower to see the suitability of your lawn. In the case of southern grasses, you can opt for Sun Joe or Earthwise. Earthwise is also suitable for some northern grasses eg. Bluegrass and fescue.
BLACK+DECKER MTE912 is found to be budget-friendly and it also has a wide variety of cutting height which is perfect for both northern or southern grasses.Here, you will get some advantages over Sun Joe mower.