Be it about being self-sufficient or trying out new DIY projects – if you are a perfectionist about precise drill work, you should opt for none but the best benchtop drill press. From coming in extremely handy for drilling in perfect holes in either wood or metal or other surfaces to making a seemingly dangerous work safer – a benchtop drill press of the best quality is the best solution.
If you want to make your workplace look and be a lot more organized and smooth-functioning, make sure to invest in the right tool. However, if you are still a bit confused about the uses of this tool, then make sure to read it till the end.
Which benchtop drill press will suit you best?
Now, considering all the factors that were discussed above, we have curated a special list of 7 benchtop drill press for you.
Going through each of the models will give you a quick insight into the features. We have done the hard work; all you have to do is to choose the one that suits you best.
1. Powermatic 3/4 Horsepower Benchtop Mortiser
The Powermatic drill press is the best fit for anyone who is seeking a great drill for woodwork like making furniture and cabinets. Some may argue that this device is not really a drill but if you remove the mortising chisel, you will be able to use it as it.
This drill press can be used both as a simple drill press as well as a mortise. With this in your workshop, you are completely sorted.
- Good horsepower
The 3/4 horsepower makes it a powerful tool for boring into hardwood like locust and walnut.
Its voltage is 115 Volts.
The speed available is 1725 RPM.
- In-line depth stop
You will be able to set the depth beforehand. This will ensure that there is no risk of racking the base.
- Double-lock system
The holding down of stock with the double-lock system ensures that there is no risk of slipping.
- Reversible handles
The handles can be inserted without the help of any tools to any side of the head.
- Cam lock
The quick-action cam lock will be able to quickly lock the fence in perfect position in just a single 90- degree movement.
- 1/2- inch chuck
- 5/8 and 3/4- inch sizes of bushing
- 5- 1/2 –inch capacity of head stroke
- Accessories and attachments
- 3/4 chisel bushing
- Chuck extension adapter
- Chuck key
- It needs to be assembled.
- As this is not a proper drill press, there are no adjustable tables.
- Few variable speed options.
2. JET J-2530 15- Inch Drill Press
If you want a benchtop drill press that can be used both at home and at workshops, JET is perhaps your best choice. The large quill and cast-iron head ensure greater precision.
- The 15- inch throat will make working a lot more comfortable.
- The 3/4 horsepower makes it a powerful tool for drilling into some quite hard materials.
Its voltage is 115 Volts.
- The work table can tilt at 45 degrees, both towards the left and right.
- If you want the drill press out of the way, the 360- degree swivel will make that possible.
- You will be able to choose between 16- speed variations. You can go as high as 3630 RPM or as low as 200 RMP.
- The 3 3/8- inch travel gives good support to the wide throat.
- The oversize on and off switch ensures that you can easily operate it even in low light.
- There is no digital readout option.
- Its weight of 157 lbs makes it not a good choice if the workstation is not strong enough
3. JET JWDP- 12 12” Variable Speed-Speed Drill Press
If you are looking for a benchtop drill press that is lesser in weight yet power-packed with features, then, this is perhaps your best choice.
- Spacious throat
The 12- inch throat space makes it suitable for all most all kinds of workstation works.
The power 1/2 HP along with 5- ampere induction motor ensures that you are able to smoothly work on almost any kind of material.
- Spindle travel
The 3 1/8- inch spindle travel assures that you will be able to cut through maximum depth.
The innovative X-shaped XACTA laser light confirms drilling accuracy.
- Industrial drill chuck
The 5/8” industrial drill chuck provides options for multiple drilling applications.
The variable speed makes it a great tool for nearly every kind of work.
The weight of 68 lbs makes it not only suitable for workstations but also for carrying it along.
- This comes with a cast iron base.
- The base size of 10” x 16- 1/8” makes it a perfect fit for even workbenches with space crisis.
- The large-sized padded switch ensures that you can easily shut it off along with providing lockout protection.
- Oversized, ergonomic knobs ensure that you have ease of access and use.
- LED work-light enhances visibility for intricate work.
- The clear linear scale provides a depth stop.
- The retractable roller extension gives added support along with giving quick adjustment of the workpiece.
- The table cannot be moved to 90 degrees to the drill bit or the vertical support pipe.
4. WEN 4208 8- Inch 5- Speed Drill Press
If you are looking for a great budget buy without compromising on the features, this benchtop drill press can be a great choice.
- Good throat
The 8- inch throat will make working a lot more comfortable for DIY enthusiasts.
The 1/3 horsepower ensures that the motor can gather enough torque and power.
Its voltage is 120 Volts.
- Speed variations
You will be able to choose between 5- speed variations: 740, 1100, 1530, 2100, and 3140 RPM.
The spindle can drill up to 2- inches deep. It comes with easy to read and locking linear depth for precise and repeatable drilling operations.
- Tilting work table
The work table can tilt at 45 degrees, both towards the left and right.
- On-board key storage facility.
- Comes with a cord of 6 ft.
- Comes with 1/2 –inch keyed chuck.
- The 1/2 –inch chuck makes it only most suitable for home-based projects.
- The travel of 2- inches is also not beneficial for professional projects.
5. Shop Fox W 1668 Bench-Top Drill Press/ Spindle Sander
If you are looking for a versatile option, this tool could be your ideal pick as it can be used not only for drilling but also for sanding.
- Spacious throat
The 13- inches throat space makes it a comfortable choice for almost every kind of work.
The 3/4 HP is neither too much nor too little.
The voltage is 110 Volts.
- Variable speed
The speed can be adjusted between 12 various speeds of 250 RPM and 3050 RPM.
- Swing travel
The 13 ¼ – inch swing ensures that you can easily work on larger workpieces without any kind of problem. Moreover, you will be able to do sanding comfortably too.
- Tilting table
With this benchtop drill press, you will be able to tilt the table on both sides for up to 90 degrees.
- 360- degree swivel
The round table can swivel in 360- degrees.
- Drill chuck
The drill chuck is 5/8- inches.
- It comes with 3 piece drum kit – 1- inch, 1 ½ -inch, and 2- inch.
- 80 grit sandpaper
The weight of this benchtop drill press is 63 lbs.
- You cannot easily switch between the two modes of drilling and spindle-sanding.
- You will be required to open the lid and either remove or replace the belt to use the tool in a particular mode.
6. BILT HARD 8- Inch Drill Press
If you are looking for a budget-friendly benchtop drill press for your DIY projects, this CSA certified piece could be your pick.
The throat size of 8- inches makes it a fair product.
The 1/3 HP gives the motor the required power to drill through almost all kinds of materials and surfaces.
The voltage of this model is 120 Volts.
- Variable operating speed
With this model, you will be getting 5 variety of speed settings to choose from 760, 1150, 1630, 2180, and 3070 RPM.
- Tilting worktable
You will be able to tilt the table up to 45- degrees both on your right and left if you are seeking angled drilling.
- Compact construction
- The frame of this benchtop drill press is made up of cast iron.
- There are predrilled holes in the base which helps in mounting on the worktop or bench easier.
- The slotted table makes mounting vises and clamps easier.
- Added accessories
- The 2 ½- inch jaws can be opened up to 2 1/10- inches.
- 13 piece drill set for various materials and works.
You will be getting 90 days warranty for any kind of defects in materials and workmanship.
- Customer service is not very good. While you will get prompt replies to emails, telephonic conversations may not be as effective.
- Not suitable for any kind of heavier work.
7. SE 3- Speed Mini Bench Drill
If you are looking for a compact option for doing some small yet precise DIY tasks at home, then, this can be a great choice for you.
- Work area dimensions
You will be getting a working area of 6 9/16- inches x 6 9/16- inches. This means that you will be able to work on ready delicate items on this.
- Base dimensions
You will be getting a compact device that has base dimensions of 6 5/8- inches x 6 5/8-inches. Hence, space will not be a concern while accommodating this.
- Drill height
The drill is only 7.5- inches in height.
- Drill capacity
Having only 16 mm as the maximum drill capacity makes it a great tool for performing finer tasks.
- Variable speeds
There are 3 variable speeds of 5000, 6500, and 8000 RPM.
- Spindle travel
The spindle travel space is 1- inches.
The voltage of this tool is 110 Volts.
The weight of this device is just 2.2 lbs.
- 3 wrenches
- 6 mm chuck key
Why should you buy a benchtop drill press?
- Say goodbye to manually hold a work-piece: Holding a slab of wood manually and working the drill on it can be dangerous, if not tiring. With a benchtop drill press, you will be easily able to clamp it on the worktable of the drill press.
- Make your DIY projects simpler: Use a benchtop drill press for easily drilling and sanding. This will make you love DIY projects even more.
- Perfect joins: If you opt for some specially designed devices, you will also be able to do the joins.
Have these perks excited you?
Well, before you go on and decide on the model, check out the buying guide.
What to Consider When Buying a Benchtop Drill Press
If you are an absolute fresher in the field of the benchtop drill press, you are bound to get a bit confused. It is not mandatory that every workstation will have it, let alone homes. But it is a great tool to have. With these following factors in mind, you are sure to make a judicious buy:
- Drill size and travel
These are two of the most important factors for determining which tool will be the best fit for you.
- Drill size is the distance between the stand supporting the motor and the drill thing. The double of this distance is the actual size of the benchtop drill press.
- Travel is the distance the chuck is able to move up and down. If a benchtop drill press has 2-inch travel, it will only be able to penetrate 2-inches deeper into the wood.
Make sure to check out these important characteristics as well as your requirements before choosing your preferred model.
To drill through a hard material, you require lesser speed from the drill. The speeds of different models vary between 200 to 3600 RPM. If you intend to drill pine, a high-speed model will suit you but, you will need a lower speed model for drilling metals.
Moreover, if there is less speed, less heat will be generated. This, in turn, will ensure that the sharp cutting consistency is maintained.
This is an important part but not so important for a benchtop drill press. Most standard models have a horsepower ranging between 1/3 and 3/4. You can choose any of them (as, for a workstation drill press, speed matters more).
If you notice that your model is lagging, understand that you are applying too much pressure on the bit. This can be harmful to the other parts. You need to be a bit lighter.
- Laser guide and onboard light
However well-lit your workshop is, if you want to work seamlessly in the dark, a drill press with an onboard light will surely be a plus. For precise drilling, you need to properly see what you are doing.
A laser guide will help you align the position of the wood with the drill bit. With the laser light guiding you, drilling holes in a perfect line will not be difficult anymore.
- Safety parts
While you have to be careful during your work, a benchtop drill press with specific safety features will surely make your experience smoother:
- Having bit guards will ensure that your hands stay away from harm when the bit is active. Moreover, stray scarps will not come flying onto your face.
- If the on/off buttons are large in size, you will easily able to switch on and off the device.
- Attachments and accessories
It is important for benchtop drill press models to come with some basic accessories and attachments. Be it for upgrading the functions or for ensuring safe and proper drilling – you need some extra things. However, even if that is not possible, there should be a provision for attaching them separately. Some of the helpful accessories are:
- Sanding kit
- Mortising chisel
Before delving into the models that you can check out for yourself, here are the answers to your most frequently asked questions:
What is the swing on a drill press?
The swing is actually the size of the drill press. That is, it is double the throat distance (the distance from the center of the spindle to the nearest edge of the post or column). The ‘swing’ denotes the largest diameter of the piece of wood you can use yet be able to drill a hole into its center.
How much HP does a drill press have?
Most drill presses have an HP ranging between 1/3 and 3/4. A ½ HP drill press can be really powerful.
What are the two types of speed controls used in drill presses?
The two types of speed controls used in drill presses are:
- Step pulley
- Variable speed systems
What is the best drill press for woodworking?
The best drill press for woodworking will have the following features:
- A good swing for comfortable choosing of wood and drilling holes
- The quill stroke (the maximum distance the spindle is able to go downwards) should be at least more than 4-inches.
- The longer the quill stroke, the deeper a Forstner bit or auger bit can create the mortise
- A table that can tilt in 45- degree angles, both right and left
What is the best drill press at a cheap price?
The best drill press at a cheap price will have all the required features but may not have any added advantages like laser guide or variable speed adjustment options.
Each of the benchtop drill press discussed above is good in its own right. Now, it depends on your purpose or requirement, choice as well as budget. If you have the question, “what is the best drill press in cheap price?”
We recommend you to opt for either WEN 4208 8- Inches 5- Speed Drill Press or BILT HARD 8- Inch Drill Press. If budget is not a constraint for you then your answer for the “what is the best drill press for woodworking?” will be either JET J-2530 15- Inch Drill Press or Powermatic 3/4 Horsepower Benchtop Mortiser.
However, if you are looking for a benchtop drill press for more intricate or simply DIY projects, SE 3- Speed Mini Bench Drill will be the one for you.
Analyze your options and take your pick. Make sure to think carefully about:
- The tasks you are currently doing and the ones you intend to take up in the future.
- If the benchtop drill press is for your home or workshop.
- How much space you have on your worktable.
- Your budget.
Great woodworking days are awaiting you! Let the benchtop drill press of your choice make your life as simple and convenient as you had always wanted it to be! All the very best for your projects!